Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bedtime for Garbanzos

We stumbled upon this recipe while perusing our way through the Joy of Cooking.  We received the Joy of Cooking as a wedding gift and thought, "Hmm...am I ever going to use this thing?"  Fast forward a couple of years, and the answer is "Yes!"  I wouldn't call it the greatest cookbook in the world, but it does have a nearly encyclopedic selection of standard recipes as well as some eclectic ones that are worth a try.  We discovered this recipe on a weeknight, and we just happened to have all of the required ingredients on hand.  Amazing!  It was really fast and easy to make, so we tried it again on the weekend and had company over. 

This recipe is called "Chicken Tagine," but the recipe doesn't actually call for a tagine (which is a type of pot common in Moroccan cooking).  Something tells me this recipe is not exactly authentic Moroccan, but it is tasty and has a lot of chickpeas (or garbanzos.)  It works out well in a dutch oven, but I can only imagine how much better it would be if made in a tagine!

Chicka Chicka, what? The cinnamon is really good in this.
mis en place, if you please
preparing the chicken: cutting into pieces and removing skin
The gloves aren't necessary, but if you realize you need a
clean hand... you can just pop the glove off.  Seems like otherwise I end up washing my hands like 4 different times cause I keep getting them chickeny.

Browning the chicken

Scraping up all of the brown bits at the bottom. 

The recipe called for water, but we used stock for more flavor.

Hearty, a little spicy, and vaguely soupy.  Great with crusty bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment