
There typically isn't a whole lot to say about fruit salad (though there is plenty to SING.) They tend to be boring and mushy and overly-reliant on various melons. I attempted to make the most brilliant fruit salad of all time by adding every color of the rainbow and finding something to make it special. That something extra turns out to be....mint. It's perfect. It makes it taste like a mojito! I am a FRUIT NINJA!
(GREEN) I started with 1 green apple. I didn't want it to brown, so I doused it in the juice of 1 lemon. This turned out to be a great idea. I layered all of the fruit on top of each other and didn't mix it up until the very end. The apples sat there, stuck at the bottom of the bowl, marinating in lemon juice. It gave them a nice tangy flavor.
(RED) Next up, straw-babys. You can never have enough straw-babies in a fruit salad!
(ORANGE) Next, mandarin oranges. I was originally just going to dump a can of mandarin oranges in the bowl, but *somebody* bought fresh ones, so I had to peel them (annoyingly time-consuming!).
(YELLOW) Next...bananas. Now, I know some people don't like bananas, but I personally love them. They do tend to get soggy, so that was a definite concern. But I'm still glad I put them in there.
(GREEN) Next, green grapes. I sliced them in half. I'm not sure if that was totally necessary, but it was too late after I had done a couple of them. In retrospect, I should have done purple grapes to get one more color of the rainbow in there. Dang it!
(ORANGE) Next, peaches. I will confess....they were frozen peaches. I find frozen peaches to be much more reliable than fresh. Fresh peaches are soooooo unreliable.
(GREEN) Next, the star of the show...mint. Brilliant!
(BLUE!) Last up, blueberries. Yeah, I should have added the blueberries before the mint, but I forgot. No worries, it all gets mixed together in the end!
Next, a picture!
| Lovingly MIXING the salad. Mixing, mind you. |
Next, another picture!
| Yummy, yummy fruit salad! |
No comments:
Post a Comment