Sunday, December 11, 2011

I'm hot Buttered, check it and see

Ah winter… that certain nip to the air.  Grey skies, wind, and chilliness…  Taken on their own these things might be downers, but they enable us to prepare certain items that would be solidly out of place in a more pleasant clime.  Take for instance, the Hot Buttered Rum.  Outside of New Orleans, when are you going to drink one of these unless its just plain miserable outside? 
It has so many unexpected elements:
1.  Hot – How often does anyone really imbibe hot alcoholic drinks?  I know there are toddies and, of course, mulled wine, but again… unless you’re British, you’re not really drinking hot alcohol very often.  But that’s to our detriment.  The hot alcohol warms you two ways.  Its just the thing for winter weather.
2. Buttered – This part of the drink I’m convinced is just there for shock value.  A Buttered beverage?  It’s like we’re at Hogwarts (ok, Hogsmeade technically).  I say we need a bigger genre of buttered drinks.  Buttered Coke.  Buttered Water.  Buttered…. uh….Buttered Buttermilk? 
Anyhow the butter adds a substance, an unctuousness, that is quite nice to the drink.
3. Rum – Rum?  I mean, I know its great in all those fruity, frozen girl drinks, but to be the star of the show?  A rarity. 
I have the honor of having a Colombian brother-in-law and his family very graciously gave me a bottle of 12 year old dark rum from Medellin.  This isn’t froo-froo drink rum.  This is rich, star of the show rum.  This is Hot-Buttered-Rum Rum
Without futher ado:
IMG_1643
Simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water heated until dissolved), butter, dark rum, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, and cloves.  Not pictured…. boiling water.
IMG_1644
The rum, syrup, 3 cloves and one stick of cinnamon go into the glass.  The boiling hot water will activate the flavors in the clove and cinnamon.

IMG_1645
Boiling hot water poured in.  Butter, floating on top, but not stirred in.  Freshly grated nutmeg on top.
You can keep your wassail, you suckers.  Lets go caroling tanked up on these bad boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment