Previously, on a Tale of Two Pies…. we made Chicken Pot Pie.
And now, for the dramatic conclusion…. Blueberry Pie
Yes, Chez Venza is a magical place where one can have pie for dinner and dessert…. on the same night! High-level negotiations were underway so that there might be a pie appetizer as well, but ultimately that idea was shelved…. for now.
As with the Pot Pie, this is a quick and easy recipe. We did not make our own crust… and it was still great. The apple and the tapioca go into the pie to add body and texture…. you certainly can’t taste the apple in the final product.
A quick aside about apples. I’m sure we didn’t invent this technique, but just about the only use I’ve found for a melon-baller is to surgically core apples. I don’t care for melon, really.
The apple gets grated, and then the juice gets all squeezed out. This might account for the lack of apple flavor in our blueberry pie.
Most of the blueberries get reduced in a pot until they are molten blue goo.
The hot blue goo gets added to the apple along with whole blueberries, tapioca, lemon juice, and sugar. That’s my wife’s beer, I swear.
Into the the pie pan. Observe the decorative venting. I wish I could have been more symmetrical.
This looks odd… it is bits of butter and egg wash, to help the crust brown.
Mmmmm… blueberry-licious!
Thus ends, the Tale of Two Pies. To misquote Dickens: “It was the best of pies….. it was the best of pies!”
No comments:
Post a Comment