Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Chilaquiles-zilla

Another attack of food writing /food photography taking control of our will to cook!  Look at this photo and recipe.  Am I wrong, or are you now compelled to make it?  It haunted my imagination until I was able to do so.

So look at the link, and then look at this picture.  Yeah, I’d say we freaking nailed it.

IMG_1863

I’ve lived in Texas my whole life, but I’d never heard of chilaquiles.  Basically, its tortilla chips, tossed until semi-soggy with a Mexican red sauce, layered with cheese and broiled until melty.  The egg on top is of debated authenticity, but it played a big role in selling me on this.

We skipped making our own tortilla chips, and in retrospect, we’d recommend making the sauce the night before.

IMG_1857

Rehydrating dried  guajillo chiles in boiling water.  Oh yeah, this is some authentic stuff.

IMG_1858IMG_1860

Tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, paprika, guajillo chiles along with some reserved liquid.  Puree!

IMG_1861

Sauce gets cooked for about 15 minutes and then just a little honey is added, along with salt and pepper.

The chips get tossed with a little sauce, place in a skillet, topped with Monterrey jack and queso fresco, then more chips more cheese and more sauce.  Like a mexican breakfast lasagna.  Then it gets broiled until melty. 

On top… a beautifully poached (rather than fried) egg.  My wife had to sneak out in the middle of the night to get them!

IMG_1865

The recipe warns that the garnishes are key, and I can see why.  The white onion, radish, lime, and cilantro add more than color… they add a ton of flavor.  ¡Vámonos Amigos!  Make Chilaquiles!  And yes, you can have milks with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment