Tuesday, February 4, 2014

You say Potato Pizza, I say Potato Pizza!

 

IMG_1731

Sorry, loyal fans, this post is long overdue.  It is time to wax poetic about a pizza pie we ate at Pour House Pints and Pies in Austin, TX.  Check out their menu here.  Their Potato Pizza sounds particularly strange, but I will tell you…it was particularly good!  The description is “Parmesan white sauce, Yukon Gold potatoes, caramelized onions, fresh rosemary.”  Sounds easy enough to me!

Trying to recreate something you ate at a restaurant can be tricky, but I figured I was smart enough that I could figure this out.  It’s just a pizza after all, right?  I scoured the internet for a “parmesan white sauce.”  Turns out, that’s a pretty generic description.  I settled on this recipe because the writer went on and on about how good it was. 

IMG_1725

It was fairly easy….it’s a béchamel sauce with a ton of grated parmesan added to it.  Butter, flour, garlic, pepper, nutmeg, salt, and milk are heated on the stove.  Stir until thickened; add parmesan.  I actually made this the night before because I was doing it on a weeknight and I am very grumpy when I get home from work (grumble, grumble).

IMG_1726

Caramelized onions:  nectar from the gods.  I also made this the night before for the same reasons stated above.  I used this recipe.  Chop onions, sauté in butter and olive oil, and stir occasionally for about 40 minutes.  Done!

IMG_1722

Potatoes.  Everyone has an opinion!  Some recipes didn’t cook them at all and put them raw on the pizza.  Others blanched them for about a minute in boiling water before putting them on the pizza.  I figured I would rather be safe than sorry.  I boiled some salted water, dropped them in for a little over a minute, and then fished them out.  I dried them off because I didn’t want too much water on my pizza (no soggy pizza for me!).  After the fact, the blanching was a good idea.  Maybe even a bit more would have been good.

IMG_1724

And….rosemary.  Yes, that is a cutting board shaped like a pig.  Super awesome!

IMG_1723

Last but not least….bacon.  Because why not?  Pour House didn’t put bacon on their pizza, but we didn’t let that stop us!!

IMG_1727

Time to assemble.  Turns out I didn’t make enough parmesan sauce, so I had to make another batch the day of (so much for planning ahead).  That being said, we may have overdone it on the sauce.  It gets very bubbly in the high-heat oven.

IMG_1728

Ain’t that pretty?

IMG_1729

Melty and gooey.

Verdict?  I would give it a 8.5 out of 10.  It was an excellent first try, but Pour House has a better parmesan sauce.  The potatoes are a nice twist, and the onions and bacon are a perfect addition.  I think next time I’ll try an Alfredo sauce to give it more zing.  YES, there will be a next time!

1 comment:

  1. It was delish!! Let me know when that 'next time' is! :)

    ReplyDelete