Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Blackberry Gobble Gobble

 

So we were at the grocery store on Sunday.  Do you ever notice how crowded the store is on Sunday??  (we need to start shopping on Tuesday).  Anyway, we were in the fruit section and decided to get some blackberries because they were on sale.  We said we would figure out what to do with them when we got home.  And so we decided to make a cobbler!  The great thing about cobbler is that it is waaay easier to make than a pie.  And you can make it on a whim with ingredients you already have.  And it’s also yummy.

Apparently there is a great debate over what is a “true” cobbler.  There are several different variations out there:  a cake with fruit interspersed throughout; fruit with a pie crust over the top (so…a pie without the bottom crust); or fruit with biscuits resting on top.  My personal favorite?  Isn’t it obvious?  Biscuits of course!

8-5-10 Blackberries

Do you know what is the hardest part of making a cobbler?  Finding a recipe.  I had a heck of a time finding a cobbler recipe of the biscuit variety that only called for 2 cups of berries (because that’s all I had) and didn’t use cream or buttermilk (cause I didn’t have those).  I eventually settled on this one.

DSC02324

The first step is to sprinkle the berries with sugar and let them sit for about 30 minutes.  This lets them release their juices a little bit.  There’s also some lemon juice, cinnamon, and tapioca in there.  The tapioca is just a thickener.  You could also use cornstarch, but it will give it a cloudy appearance.

DSC02326

Onto my favorite part:  the biscuits.  You thought the berries were the star of this show?  This is all standard stuff:  flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. 

DSC02327

Cut in some butter.  Add milk.  Oh yeah, this recipe also called for one egg.  I don’t normally put eggs in my biscuits, but I can only imagine that it makes it more tasty!

DSC02328

Then you just dollop the biscuit dough on top of the berries before putting it in the oven.

DSC02333

Out of the oven.  Oh no!  A mouse took off with some of my cobbler!

DSC02332

So easy.  So delicious.  Add some vanilla ice cream and it’s even better! 

1 comment:

  1. You should read The Joy of Cooking's section on cobblers and crisps and other such desserts. They have pages and pages of similar (but just a little bit different) fruit and dough desserts. It's worth a read. Also, please feed me dessert sometime soon. I like crisps and cobblers!

    ReplyDelete