Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Scallops Away

 

We’ve cooked with scallops before.  They aren’t so scary.  Did you know that the logo for Royal Dutch Shell is a scallop shell?  Well now you do!

We had some scallops stored away in the freezer, and I was just itching for a good recipe to use with them.  Simple enough for a weeknight, yet elegant enough to impress somebody.  Pay attention, because I think I just found your perfect weeknight-Valentine’s meal!

File:Annachlamys flabellata 003.jpg

Ina Garten’s Scallops Provencal is soooooo simple and yet soooooo fancy and delicious!  I think this might become our “go-to” scallop recipe in the future.  We used sea scallops (which are apparently better than bay scallops for this kind of recipe).  These guys are pretty massive, so Ina suggests you cut them in half horizontally.  No problem Ina!

Sprinkle the scallops with salt and pepper.  Then dredge them in a flour.  This helps them brown.

DSC02382

Start with a tablespoon of melted butter.  Butter is better!

DSC02383

Add the scallops and cook for 2 minutes until brown on one side.  Flip and repeat.

DSC02384

Add another tablespoon of butter, plus 1 shallot, 1 clove of garlic, and a handful of chopped parsley.  Cook for another couple of minutes.

DSC02386

Add some white wine and cook for another minute.  Side note – you can go heavy on the wine.  We accidentally put in twice what it called for, and it was still delicious.  It actually gives you more of that yummy sauce to soak up with a piece of bread or something.

DSC02393

And………that’s it.  That took, like, 15 minutes.  I mean, I practically wrote this blog post in the same amount of time it took me to make dinner.  Now go away, I’m hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment