Monday, September 22, 2014

Chocolate Pudding Surprise

 

To our dismay, our baby is suspected of being allergic to dairy and soy proteins.  This means that his Mama cannot eat any dairy or soy, which has thrown Chez Venza for a loop.  It’s been a huge adjustment, but we are willing to adapt (hello, cheeseless pizza!). 

Avoiding dairy and soy is challenging but not impossible.  It’s not as easy as being lactose-free, but not as stringent as say being vegan or gluten-free.  Soy happens to be in practically all processed foods (methinks there’s a soy lobby in Washington).  Today’s recipe comes to us from the “raw food” culture (uncooked, unprocessed foods).  It’s chocolate pudding….made from bananas and avocados.  Surprise!  It’s really easy to make. 

The ingredients are simply bananas, avocados, vanilla, cinnamon, and cocoa powder.  That’s it!  Puree, and you’re done!  Although, it’s better after it sits in the fridge for a few hours.

IMG_2324

IMG_2325

IMG_2326

IMG_2327

IMG_2330

I confess……..I added sugar to the pudding.  That flies in the face of the raw food culture, but that was never my intention in the first place.  The sugar definitely helps!  I also dressed it up with pecans and dairy-free chocolate chips (yes, they do exist). 

So….what do I think?  It’s….ok.  The texture is actually somewhat addictive.  While the flavor isn’t all there, the texture is so smooth and creamy that I keep going back for more.  It has a distinct banana flavor, but you can’t really taste the avocado.  The cocoa powder is a little gritty, but definitely chocolaty.  It’s not a perfect substitute for a chocolate craving, but it will do.

 

As they say in Spanish “Yo soy Soy-free.”

No comments:

Post a Comment