Friday, August 31, 2012

Hunka Hunka Peanut Butter Love


Well, my partner in crime has left the building!  Which can only mean…time to eat weird food for dinner!  Put on an old movie and drag out your blue suede shoes.  I know you have suspicious minds... and you'd be right: it’s time to make an Elvis Presley Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich!!

I looked at a couple of recipes online and then decided to wing it.  Plenty has been written on the subject, and there are lots of different versions out there.  There seems to be some dispute over whether the sandwich is supposed to have bacon on it.  I wasn’t quite up for that, so I just decided to go with the classic.

IMG_0870

The ingredients are simple:  bread, peanut butter, banana, and honey (that's money).

IMG_0873

The steps are simple too:  slather bread with peanut butter.

IMG_0876

Viva sliced bananas!  Drizzle with honey.

IMG_0877

Put together and then butter the outsides (I suppose you could butter the outsides before you start assembling, but whatever).

IMG_0878

Now, because I’m lazy, I decided to go with the good ol’ George Foreman grill.  I could have sautéed it in a skillet, but like I said…I was being lazy.

IMG_0881

Ooey, gooey, buttery, and bananay!  It takes awhile to get the bread all toasty, so the bananas get soft and melty and almost disappear into the peanut butter.  Love them tender!

It’s so decadent that I did start to feel somewhat guilty about eating this for dinner.  It's more of a late-night snack or breakfast kind of thing.  I can also see how adding bacon would be nice because it would give it some crunch and contrasting flavor.  I’ll have to try that sometime (maybe….tomorrow?).

Fools may rush into eating a well balanced dinner....but I can't help falling in love with a fried PB&B sammie à la The King!

No comments:

Post a Comment