Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Can You Tell Me How to Get to Cold Sesame Noodle Street?

 

So this week, we’ve gone healthy and Asian.  Inspired by a recent issue of Bon Appetit magazine, we made cold sesame noodles with summer vegetables.  Aside from the noodles, nothing in this dish is cooked, and it is served cold.  Really, it’s like an Asian pasta salad.  Very healthy, plenty filling, and, with some modifications, super tasty.

 

DSC01728

 

DSC01711

Almost all of what you see here got chopped up and put into the dish.  The jalapeno, ginger, and garlic are my own additions to the recipe.

The only tough part of this recipe is all the slicing.  You have to “matchstick” them all…. so, cut them to look like match sticks!

DSC01713

Close enough!

DSC01720

Who knew radishes tasted so good?

DSC01724

This recipe calls for 8 cups of matchstick cut summer vegetables.  I didn’t quite make it there.

DSC01717

These are Japanese Soba noodles.  They are made from buckwheat, which apparently is a real thing and not just an Eddie Murphy SNL character.  Also, they’re healthy, according to Lance Armstrong. 

DSC01719

After a quick boil, they get hosed down with cold water to stop the cooking.  DSC01721DSC01725

The items in the “dressing.”  Strangely enough, the recipe called for salt, but I subbed soy sauce.  I ended up using more sriracha sauce than was called for.  As with any dish, you just have to keep tasting and tinkering until it reaches the right seasoning.  It’s one of the toughest things to do in the kitchen.

DSC01727

Vegetables, cilantro, noodles, sesame seeds, and dressing.  Now just pop that bad boy in the fridge.  Sayonara hunger!

1 comment:

  1. I knew radishes were so delicious. Also, I wish I was eating this for dinner. And finally, your Bastille Day meal looked so amazing. Wish I could have tasted it all. Keep up the cooking!

    ReplyDelete