Sunday, December 28, 2014

Joyeux Noël

 

IMG_2878

Merry Christmas everybody!!  We made a fancy dessert for Christmas Eve dinner, called a Paris-Brest.  What, your family doesn’t make elaborate French pastries for Xmas??  This recipe is courtesy of our favorite magazine, Cook’s Illustrated.  According to the magazine, this dessert is  a classic Christmas Eve concoction in America.  Funny, I’ve never heard of it before!  It was created in the early 1900’s in honor of the Paris-Brest-Paris bicycle race.  The pastry is shaped like a bicycle wheel, and even features a pastry “inner tube.”  More on that later.

IMG_2867

Here’s the pastry filling.  I won’t bore you with the details of how we made it (because I didn’t take pictures of it, and I’m also lazy).  It consists of a hazelnut “praline” and lots of butter and cream.  I originally tried to make the entire thing dairy-free, but it turns out our grocery store doesn’t sell whipping cream substitute.  Darn it!  I was forced to take a dairy-free holiday (or free of dairy-free) for Christmas.  Anyway, this has a really nice hazelnut flavor.  Like Nutella, only creamier and without chocolate.  OK, fine, it’s nothing like Nutella.

IMG_2868   IMG_2869

Next I made classic pastry dough, called pâte à choux.  Again, I didn’t take any pictures of it.  It consists of butter, flour, eggs, cream.  I then used a piping bag to make 2 rings – a small inner ring (representing the inner tube of the bicycle wheel) and the larger outer ring, which got decorated with chopped hazelnuts.  Into the oven until nice and brown.

 IMG_2870

Outer ring gets sliced in half…

 IMG_2872

…and filled with hazelnut cream.

IMG_2874

The smaller pastry ring then goes on top.  Alas, my smaller ring was too small!  I had to cut it in half just to make it fit inside.  So there are a couple gaps where there is no inner tube.  This bicycle wheel is defective!

IMG_2875

More hazelnut pastry cream.

IMG_2876

And then we put the top piece back on. 

IMG_2877

Ta-da!

IMG_2888

So good, I barely managed to get a picture of what was left before everyone ate it.  It’s nice and light, even though it looks decadent.  There were 5 of us, and we ate the WHOLE THING.  No leftovers = success!

No comments:

Post a Comment